Welcome to Civics It Up!
This site is an instructional tool for teachers of Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) activities. The purpose of the site is to help teachers plan and implement instructional units and lessons that integrate language learning with rights and responsibilities of citizenship, civic participation, and workforce preparation.
- Click on the logo.
- Click on the topic that you want to use in your classroom.
- Select the learning objectives that you want to cover in yourunit or lesson. You will be directed to an instructional planner that includes: activity description, technique description, references to pathway skills, and teacher resources for the activity.
- Once on the instructional planner page, decide whether you want to customize your planner or print it as is.
- To customize your planner, save it to your computer and make your changes.
- To create more planners, return to either the objectives page of the same topic or the page for selecting topics.
Civics it Up is currently organized by 22 topics of three life skills: (health, consumerism, and employment) under three strands (rights and responsibilities of citizenship, civic participation, and workforce). Conceptual Framework Instructional Techniques Bank Virginia Adult ESOL Content Standards ELPs Acknowledgements
Civics It Up! was made possible by the generous support of the Office of Adult Education and Literacy of the Virginia Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Education, and the English Literacy/Civics Education Program. The opinions expressed herein, however, do not necessarily represent the position or policy of the U. S. Department of Education, and no official endorsement by the U. S. Department of Education should be inferred. This document was designed and created by the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center at Virginia Commonwealth University, 3600 West Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia. It may be reproduced for nonprofit, educational purposes only. April, 2016. Notice of disclaimer: While the Civics It Up! curriculum framework provides an excellent resource for the instructional and workforce preparation portions of IELCE, it does not address the integrated education and training, or IET, work placement requirements of IELCE.